• November 13Nov. 23-26 Thanksgiving Break No school

Ridgewood Football with offensive explosion against Kennedy, PCTI is next

Backups come up big!

The Maroons take the field.

The Maroons take the field.

Lindsey Barclay

Lindsey Barclay

The Maroons take the field.

Jake Kleiman, Staff Writer

On Friday, October 20th Ridgewood High School Football (6-1) took home a 35-6 win against Kennedy High School (3-3). This is Ridgewood’s 3rd consecutive win, and you can tell, because every member of the team is doing their job. The first game of the season against Hackensack, one of Ridgewood’s star running backs Will Cardew tore his ACL. Although the whole team misses having him on the field, that hasn’t stopped the backups from coming up in the clutch when Ridgewood needs it. Sophomore Gabe Santiago and Senior Parker Scott have taken carries in Cardew’s spot. Both of them ran all over the Kennedy Defense. Santiago with 9 rushing attempts and 98 yards and Scott with 2 rushing attempts, 70 yards and 2 TDs. Senior starting RB Paul Calvetti also had a big game with 63 yards rushing and 2 TD runs.

RHS Passing Game

All of 2017 RHS QB Jack Barclay has thrown the ball more than people thought he would. Friday night was no exception, Barclay went 4 for 7 passing, 63 yards and 1 TD pass.

Kennedy Defense

Over the course of the game, the Kennedy Defense had multiple players with 5+ tackles. Mohammed Salameh- 8 tackles, Jayden Cornish-6, Darien Davis-7, and Diony Dilone-6. But, although the Kennedy D was able to takedown the Ridgewood Offense, the Red Zone was an issue for Patterson. All but 1 TD for the Maroons was from the Red Zone.

After the game, Running Back/Linebacker David Kleiman had some words to say about the game and about next week’s key matchup against Passaic County Tech.

Q: “After coming off a big game this week against Kennedy and this being the 3rd straight win for you guys, how does this team go into practice this week and what do you think coach will focus on looking as though everything has been rolling as of late?”

DK: “Well Friday was definitely a big win for sure, both sides of the ball. We really established ourselves the way we wanted to and PCT, is a very big week of course, they’re our rivals and for a few weeks now we’ve been looking at this coming week as a really big week, it will decide our fate in the state playoffs and of course improve our record. We are looking forward to and it will be a big game.

Q: “PCTI is a big opponent next week, what guys in the locker room bring a positive attitude that will get you guys amped up for that game?”

DK: It’s definitely not anybody specific, our whole team culture, everybody brings something to the table, for sure we definitely feed off of each other’s energy whether it be the captains, the seniors or the scout team players, the sophomores. Everybody brings something important and it’s exciting to see what kind of energy we will have going into the game but it will definitely play a factor.

Q: “Quarterback Jack Barclay has thrown the ball a lot more than expected this season against the normal WING T style of play. What does his level of play and his attitude bring to this team?”

DK: “Well, for a few years now, Jack has been the go to guy. For sure he is a team leader in the locker room and on the field and what he has been able to do in the passing game has helped us on all sides of the ball and has just made the football team overall better. Now, that’s not taking anything away from the line and the receivers who do just as hard and important job as Jack. But the ability that he has had to throw under pressure and throw accurately has really helped the team out.

Q: “We all know about the injury of Will Cardew and how he was a huge part of your offense, how has this team been able to rebound and what guys have stepped up in his place?”

DK: “Well yeah for sure Will’s injury was very hard and we all took it very hard thats for sure and I think the week after Paramus we were still a little bit hungover who has so much energy and brings so much to the team was gonna be out for the year. But there have definitely been guys who have stepped up, especially Gabe Santiago and Parker Scott. They stepped in the role nicely and just brought more energy and explosiveness out of the backfield and as big as Will’s injury is, Danny’s [Lawson] injury was also pretty big too and it’s been nice to see Luke [Simpson] step in and really bring what he has to the table and show us what hes got. It’s definitely helped us out a little bit and rejuvenated the line. It’s exciting.